Wedge pillows for acid reflux are becoming very popular due to their diverse usage.
They are not only useful for heartburn, but they also help with a host of other issues.
But today we are going to discuss why you need a wedge pillow to help keep the acid in your stomach down to a minimum.
Before we go any further, I still want to share some of the reasons other than acid reflux why people may use wedge pillows.
|Wedge Pillows For Acid Reflux||Top Feature||Review|
|Avana Super Slant Bed Wedge Pillow with Bamboo Cover||Slippage prevention||Jump to Review|
|InteVision’s Extra Large Bed Wedge Pillow||Aids in post-surgery recovery||Jump to Review|
|Bed Wedge Pillow 1.5 Inch Memory Foam Top||Great for back and side sleeping||Jump to Review|
- Watching your favorite TV show – many people placed the wide end of the wedge pillow on the mattress back against their headboard. This creates an ergonomic angle for watching TV or reading a book. Rather than sitting back against your headboard where you’re sitting straight up, you kind of lean back in an angle where the wedge pillow forms around your back to give you a gentle soft hug.
- Creates a gentle slope for back sleepers – sometimes providing the right amount of height for your back can be the most cost-effective way to improve several issues. One of them is acid reflux disease. Many people suffer from breathing issues, by using a wedge pillow they can give themselves an incline of 30 to 45°, which takes the pressure off their airway. This helps their symptoms to start to improve.
- Under your knees – by having a wedge pillow under your knee can help you take off the pressure on your back. It also helps to improve circulation to muscles which are tired or sore as well as relieving swelling in feet.
- Clogged sinuses – by your head being raised it helps to stop the sinuses from getting flooded, especially when we’re sleeping. Due to your head being raised, your sinuses can drain better, which will help you get a good night sleep. It doesn’t matter if you have a cold or flu, you will get relief with the wedge pillow.
- Improves snoring – there are some who snore which could be related to a deviated septum, allergies or sickness may block your ability to breathe through your nose. This causes a person to breathe with their mouth, which leads to vibration of the tissues in your airways, which causes a person to snore. Most people who snore usually end up falling asleep on their back, which leaves their mouth wide open, jaw relaxed and dropped backward. The wedge pillow helps to keep you positioned in an elevated angle, which improves the chances of not snoring.
What are wedge pillows?
A wedge pillow is a triangular-shaped pillow which has a tapered incline which aids a person to remain in a semi-upright position during sleep. These types of pillows can help gravity to work with you to make sure that you can sleep at night.
People who suffer from sleep apnea often find that they sleep better when they’re sleeping in a reclining chair, some even use bricks or two by fours to raise the head of their bed. Having a wedge pillow helps you to do away with all that.
Wedge pillows usually come at an angle of about 30 to 45°, which is precisely what you need when trying to get to sleep at night.
These orthopedic pillows are designed for people who suffer chronic pain and/or circulation issues.
Most of them are made from dense memory foam which provides sturdy, long-lasting support. They tend to be longer as well wider than the standard sleeping pillows. They are also a bit heavier, which prevents them from slipping off your bed.
Each bed type being king, queen, single or double all use different sizes of wedge pillows. The best thing to do when getting a wedge pillow is to measure your bed to get a pillow to cover the width span of your bed
Seven things to look for in a wedge pillow
- Wedge pillows come in both soft and firm foam. Make sure that the material is hypoallergenic, so you don’t get any reaction. Wedge pillow cover should be removable so you can wash it properly.
- Wedge pillows should have a reasonable degree of elevation. Pay attention to the type of degree you want; it’s not too high or not steep for you. The better the steep of the inclination, the higher the chances that it will relieve acid reflux. A wedge pillow which has a 30 to 45° inclination is the best.
- Many people sleep in many different ways. If you’re one of those people who sleep on your back, you’ll need a soft wedge pillow that will support your back. For those who side sleep, they will need a more firm pillow.
- Make sure to select a non-slip material. The worst thing you can have to happen to you is you’re having a profound sleep, and your pillow slips out from under you. There are a lot of materials out there that are very slippery, make sure the cover of your pillow is a material with a good grip.
- If you’re going to spend good money, make sure the durability of your wedge pillow is long-lasting. Although most of us don’t want to spend too much money, consider that this is a pillow that will help ease many health issues. The higher the quality, the better sleep you’ll get.
- When buying a wedge pillow, you will come across many sizes. For a single or small bed, you can usually buy single wedge pillows. For king and queen size beds, ensure that the wedge pillow will mostly cover the width of your bed.
- Any time you buy something that is going to help you with your health, primarily when you’re investing quite a bit of money, make sure it comes with the warranty. This way if you’re not happy with what you’re purchasing at least you can return it.
Before going any further I want to let you know Jagi wrote a post on best natural cures for acid reflux, see if you find some help there.
1. Avana Super Slant Bed Wedge Pillow with Bamboo Cover
- Springs back into place
- Removable pillow cover easy to wash
- Slippage prevention
- Expands quickly and fully
- Stays cool throughout the night
- Made for comfort
- Cover is soft and durable
- 30-day return/exchange policy
This wedge pillow offers significant elevation, much like a hospital bed. It fits your upper body to provide elevation to keep the acid down. This is an ideal sleeping surface for those who suffer from acid reflux.
The angles of this wedge pillow also help with symptoms of chest or sinus congestion’s enabling you to get a good sleep.
It will cover the full-width span of both types of beds. You can even use your pillow on this wedge pillow.
This wedge pillow offers luxury to the user. It is made from medium density polyurethane foam, which gives you the support that you require during sleep time. It also has 1 inch of memory foam which wraps around your body to cover you like a hug.
The beauty of the memory foam is that this pillow springs right back into its original form once the user gets up for the day.
The bamboo cover on this pillow is perfect for preventing slippage. It is both removable as well machine washable, so this makes cleaning it very simple.
If you feel like you need a night of uninterrupted sleep where you feel fully awake in the morning as well prepared for the long day ahead, then this pillow may provide just that.
The product dimensions are 32″L x 72″W x 7.5″H. It is made in the USA.
My Final Opinion
2. InteVision’s Extra Large Bed Wedge Pillow
- Can be used by those who have allergies
- Aids in post-surgery recovery
- Luxuriously comfortable
- Keeps you in an upright position when sleeping
- Great for pregnant women
- 30-day full refund
This is an excellently designed pillow which also comes in the extra-large size. It also comes with an adjustable memory foam which is in its separate package. The memory foam is made up 2 inches, which helps to form the firm-based foam. This extra added height provides better support for your neck and head.
An extra-large version of this pillow has a 400 thread count, is smooth and silky made of 100% Egyptian cotton cover which is removable as well machine washable.
The total width span of this wedge pillow allows you to keep your arms comfortably on the pillow as well as gives you more flexibility to allow the proper body adjustments which meet your body needs.
This pillow not only helps with acid reflux, but it also helps with snoring, allergies, or any other sleeping issues which are hindered when sleeping in common supine positions.
What attracted me to this pillow was that it could aid in post-surgery recovery. Some people who have COPD have minimal allergy issues with using this pillow, which means it might have some non-allergenic properties.
It comes in three different product dimensions:
- 24 x 24 x 12 inches
- 33 x 30.5 x 7.5 inches
- 33 x 30.5 x 12 inches
My Final Opinion
3. Bed Wedge Pillow 1.5 Inch Memory Foam Top
- Can use with your own pillow
- Great for back and side sleeping
- Removable washable cover
- Can be used on any type of bed
- Perfect angle and elevation
- Works well for sleep apnea
- Helps those with back issues
- 100% risk-free purchase
- Excellent customer service
This wedge pillow will help turn your bed into a comfortable recliner. Not only will it help to improve your posture, but it will also relieve back or neck pain, which is a bonus to the acid reflux it’ll keep down.
You can use this pillow as well as the pillows listed above for reclining, reading, rest, or just having an excellent sleep at night.
Due to the multipurpose of this pillow, it is adjustable, which will help you enjoy a snore-free sleep or you can even set it up right for leg elevation.
This wedge pillow will not collapse under your body weight. It has a 1.5-inch memory foam layer with a cover that is soft yet breathable.
The wedge pillow will help to promote a night of better sleep as well prevent orthopedic health issues which may arise from your neck, spine, or shoulders.
Since it has been medically designed, it is perfect for acid reflux as well as keeping sinus pressure down.
The dimensions of this which pillow are 25 x 24 x 12 inches.
Even the elderly can enjoy the benefits of this pillow.
My Final Opinion
This pillow may be a little bit on the firm side for some people. If you are one of those people who like a bit of firmness, then this pillow will be perfect for you.
Final words on best wedge pillows for acid reflux
In my experience with this type of pillow, I would say they are a great investment, especially if you suffer from acid reflux disease, which I do. This pillow not only helps me with acid reflux but also has been an excellent pillow for the constant sniffles I get.
Wedge pillows are also great for pregnant women as well as those who are in post-surgery recovery. If you’re one of those people who love to read at night or watch some late-night TV, then this pillow will be precisely what you need.
Not only can you use them on your bed, but you can also use them on your couch. They are kid-friendly, so your kids can gain benefit from this type of pillow as well.
Before purchasing a wedge pillow, make sure to go over the seven things listed above in what to look for in a wedge pillow before purchasing.
Let me know in comments below if you are a wedge pillow user or if you could find benefit in using a wedge pillow.