Wedge pillows for acid reflux are becoming very popular due to their diverse usage.
They are not only useful for heartburn, but they also help with a host of other issues.
But today we are going to discuss why you need a wedge pillow to help keep the acid in your stomach down to a minimum.
Before we go any further, I still want to share some of the reasons other than acid reflux why people may use wedge pillows.
- Watching your favorite TV show – many people placed the wide end of the wedge pillow on the mattress back against their headboard. This creates an ergonomic angle for watching TV or reading a book. Rather than sitting back against your headboard where you’re sitting straight up, you kind of lean back in an angle where the wedge pillow forms around your back to give you a gentle soft hug.
- Creates a gentle slope for back sleepers – sometimes providing the right amount of height for your back can be the most cost-effective way to improve several issues. One of them is acid reflux disease. Many people suffer from breathing issues, by using a wedge pillow they can give themselves an incline of 30 to 45°, which takes the pressure off their airway. This helps their symptoms to start to improve.
- Under your knees – by having a wedge pillow under your knee can help you take off the pressure on your back. It also helps to improve circulation to muscles which are tired or sore as well as relieving swelling in feet.
- Clogged sinuses – by your head being raised it helps to stop the sinuses from getting flooded, especially when we’re sleeping. Due to your head being raised, your sinuses can drain better, which will help you get a good night sleep. It doesn’t matter if you have a cold or flu, you will get relief with the wedge pillow.
- Improves snoring – there are some who snore which could be related to a deviated septum, allergies or sickness may block your ability to breathe through your nose. This causes a person to breathe with their mouth, which leads to vibration of the tissues in your airways, which causes a person to snore. Most people who snore usually end up falling asleep on their back, which leaves their mouth wide open, jaw relaxed and dropped backward. The wedge pillow helps to keep you positioned in an elevated angle, which improves the chances of not snoring.
What are wedge pillows?
A wedge pillow is a triangular-shaped pillow which has a tapered incline which aids a person to remain in a semi-upright position during sleep. These types of pillows can help gravity to work with you to make sure that you can sleep at night.
People who suffer from sleep apnea often find that they sleep better when they’re sleeping in a reclining chair, some even use bricks or two by fours to raise the head of their bed. Having a wedge pillow helps you to do away with all that.
Wedge pillows usually come at an angle of about 30 to 45°, which is precisely what you need when trying to get to sleep at night.
These orthopedic pillows are designed for people who suffer chronic pain and/or circulation issues.
Most of them are made from dense memory foam which provides sturdy, long-lasting support. They tend to be longer as well wider than the standard sleeping pillows. They are also a bit heavier, which prevents them from slipping off your bed.
Each bed type being king, queen, single or double all use different sizes of wedge pillows. The best thing to do when getting a wedge pillow is to measure your bed to get a pillow to cover the width span of your bed
Seven things to look for in a wedge pillow
- Wedge pillows come in both soft and firm foam. Make sure that the material is hypoallergenic, so you don’t get any reaction. Wedge pillow cover should be removable so you can wash it properly.
- Wedge pillows should have a reasonable degree of elevation. Pay attention to the type of degree you want; it’s not too high or not steep for you. The better the steep of the inclination, the higher the chances that it will relieve acid reflux. A wedge pillow which has a 30 to 45° inclination is the best.
- Many people sleep in many different ways. If you’re one of those people who sleep on your back, you’ll need a soft wedge pillow that will support your back. For those who side sleep, they will need a more firm pillow.
- Make sure to select a non-slip material. The worst thing you can have to happen to you is you’re having a profound sleep, and your pillow slips out from under you. There are a lot of materials out there that are very slippery, make sure the cover of your pillow is a material with a good grip.
- If you’re going to spend good money, make sure the durability of your wedge pillow is long-lasting. Although most of us don’t want to spend too much money, consider that this is a pillow that will help ease many health issues. The higher the quality, the better sleep you’ll get.
- When buying a wedge pillow, you will come across many sizes. For a single or small bed, you can usually buy single wedge pillows. For king and queen size beds, ensure that the wedge pillow will mostly cover the width of your bed.
- Any time you buy something that is going to help you with your health, primarily when you’re investing quite a bit of money, make sure it comes with the warranty. This way if you’re not happy with what you’re purchasing at least you can return it.
Before going any further, I want to let you know Jagi wrote a post on best natural cures for acid reflux, see if you find some help there.
1. Avana Super Slant Bed Wedge Pillow with Bamboo Cover
This wedge pillow offers significant elevation, much like a hospital bed. It fits your upper body to provide elevation to keep the acid down. This is an ideal sleeping surface for those who suffer from acid reflux.
The angles of this wedge pillow also help with symptoms of chest or sinus congestion’s enabling you to get a good sleep.
It will cover the full-width span of both types of beds. You can even use your pillow on this wedge pillow.
This wedge pillow offers luxury to the user. It is made from medium density polyurethane foam, which gives you the support that you require during sleep time. It also has 1 inch of memory foam which wraps around your body to cover you like a hug.
The beauty of the memory foam is that this pillow springs right back into its original form once the user gets up for the day. It stays cool throughout the night.
The bamboo cover on this pillow is perfect for preventing slippage. It is both removable as well machine washable, so this makes cleaning it very simple.
If you feel like you need a night of uninterrupted sleep where you feel fully awake in the morning as well prepared for the long day ahead, then this pillow may provide just that.
The product dimensions are 32″L x 72″W x 7.5″H. It is made in the USA.
Pillows tend to slip off the bed; the fact this pillow has slippage prevention is positive. Chasing down pillows at night can be a source of sleep disruption.
2. InteVision’s Extra Large Bed Wedge Pillow
This is an excellently designed pillow which also comes in the extra-large size. It also comes with an adjustable memory foam which is in its separate package. The memory foam is made up 2 inches, which helps to form the firm-based foam. This extra added height provides better support for your neck and head.
An extra-large version of this pillow has a 400 thread count, is smooth and silky made of 100% Egyptian cotton cover which is removable as well machine washable.
The total width span of this wedge pillow allows you to keep your arms comfortably on the pillow as well as gives you more flexibility to allow the proper body adjustments which meet your body needs.
This pillow not only helps with acid reflux, but it also helps with snoring, allergies, or any other sleeping issues which are hindered when sleeping in common supine positions. The wedge pillow will aid in post-surgery recovery as well as is suitable for pregnant women.
What attracted me to this pillow was that it could aid in post-surgery recovery. Some people who have COPD have minimal allergy issues with using this pillow, which means it might have some non-allergenic properties.
It comes in three different product dimensions:
- 24 x 24 x 12 inches
- 33 x 30.5 x 7.5 inches
- 33 x 30.5 x 12 inches
This pillow offers arm support which can lead to a night of better sleep. Snoring and allergies are often a great disruption of sleep, that alone is enough to get this pillow.
3. Bed Wedge Pillow 1.5 Inch Memory Foam Top
This wedge pillow will help turn your bed into a comfortable recliner. Not only will it help to improve your posture, but it will also relieve back or neck pain, which is a bonus to the acid reflux it’ll keep down.
You can use this pillow as well as the pillows listed above for reclining, reading, rest, or just having an excellent sleep at night.
Due to the multipurpose of this pillow, it is adjustable, which will help you enjoy a snore-free sleep or you can even set it upright for leg elevation.
This wedge pillow will not collapse under your body weight. It has a 1.5-inch memory foam layer with a cover that is soft yet breathable.
The wedge pillow will help to promote a night of better sleep as well prevent orthopedic health issues which may arise from your neck, spine, or shoulders.
Since it has been medically designed, it is perfect for acid reflux as well as keeping sinus pressure down.
The dimensions of this which pillow are 25 x 24 x 12 inches.
Even the elderly can enjoy the benefits of this pillow.
This pillow may be a little bit on the firm side for some people. If you are one of those people who like a bit of firmness, then this pillow will be perfect for you.
4. Relax Home Life Bed Wedge Pillow
The Relax Home Life wedge pillow comes with a lifetime warranty. It has over 1200, making it a favorite among buyers.
It is ergonomically designed to support all types of sleepers but is exceptionally efficient with keeping acid out of the esophagus so you can get a good sleep at night. Not only does this pillow help with heartburn, but it also helps to keep backaches to a minimum.
The cover is hypoallergenic; it’s excellent for those who suffer allergies and having a tough time breathing due to a stuffy nose. The material is dust mite resistant, which helps to keep germs at bay.
If you are a person, who suffers post-natal drip but find yourself getting annoyed and feel you an only sleep by sitting, then this pillow will take care of that as well. Many people have been known to use it for coughing as well as aligning their spine.
The pillow is 40% Bamboo and 60% Polyester. The memory foam will easily mold to your neck and head to help keep migraines at bay. You can use your own pillow with the wedge to help give a little more elevation, yet that will not disturb your sleep.
5. Supportive Home Pillows Wedge Bed Pillow
This pillow is bamboo-derived rayon. Meaning it has good stretch as you lie down you can feel the pillow shaping around your head and neck. The pillow was made to provide pressure to the points when needing pain relief.
It will help to keep the food you have eaten in the stomach, which prevents heartburn. You can even rest your shoulders comfortably without feeling like your arms are getting in the way of relaxing. It will elevate your torso to keep you in an upright position, but you will not notice that because your whole body comes into an excellent alignment.
You can even be on your laptop or phone while staying in the position of the wedge; it makes for easy scrolling so you will not need sit-up, especially if you starting to wind down for the day. It’s a bit of firmer wedge, so it’s great for people who don’t like the sinking but yet are still looking for relief from acid reflux.
The pillow is made for all types of sleepers; it will accommodate any position you wish to take in bed. It takes about 24 hours for the pillow to recover its full shape. You can even use the wedge for leg elevation to relax and release pressure points.
The makers of this wedge pillow stand behind their product 100%. If you for any reason you find you’re not too satisfied you can return the pillow within 30 days for a full refund with no questions asked.
6. LUXELIFT Support Therapy Bed Wedge Pillow
This pillow has been used for therapeutic support by people who prefer gel-infused memory foam. You can easily adjust this pillow starting from 8” up to 12”. The pillow remains cool all night long, so you will not have to worry about sweating.
It’s commonly used by people who not only suffer heartburn but also need help with lower, upper, and centralized back pain. There are so those who find it helps with restless leg syndrome as well.
You can sleep in any position you want, yet the pillow will keep you in total alignment at all times. This is a bonus for those who want to keep their back straight during sleep.
Pregnancy is a typical time when women suffer from acid reflux; by using this pillow, these women will be able to keep acid to a minimum, this will let them get a full sleep. Pregnant women usually start getting tired quickly, but if they can get their full sleep, it definitely helps to keep their energy up to deal with other life necessity.
The material used to make this pillow is 100% premium grade which helps to keep allergens out of your bed and your nose as well keep your eyes from puffing up. There is an excellent airflow in the pillow to keep you cool all night long. It also wicks away sweat, so you remain dry and comfortable.
7. Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Bed Wedge Pillow
Drs back the Xtreme Comforts wedge pillow. It has an incline of 30 °, which is perfect for those who need to keep acid in the stomach rather than creeping into the throat, causing heartburn. Sleeping isn’t fun when you keep burping up burning liquid.
This pillow has a great ergonomic design which creates an elevation for the head and neck alignment. You can use the pillow on your regular bed or daybed. It is hypoallergenic, keeps away all allergens which may disturb your sleep. The bamboo cover is soft, yet durable to last a long time.
You can use the wedge pillow to keep your upper body elevated so you can watch TV or browse your phone or laptop. Once you are done keeping it upright, it’s easy to switch to elevate your legs.
It will help those who undergo surgery to recover quickly due to the angle to keep the body in an upright position. It is machine washable, and after drying out, it will easily regain its shape. The memory foam will not fall apart in your washing machine.
The pillow helps to reduce pressure points so you can experience sleeping pain-free. Your quality of sleep will be highly improved.
It comes with a bamboo quilted cover which is easily removable due to the unique design of the zipper. The cover can withstand the harshest of treatments, yet will not rip or tear unless you cut it with a scissor.
Because the pillow uses a deluxe body active memory foam, your pillow is always guaranteed to retain its shape at all times. Even when it conforms to your body, once you get-up, it will easily spring back.
You are guaranteed a risk-free purchase. The manufacturer makes your sleep a top priority if any time you are not satisfied, you can return it for a full refund. You also receive a lifetime warranty of 100%.
Final words on best wedge pillows for acid reflux
In my experience with this type of pillow, I would say they are a significant investment, especially if you suffer from acid reflux disease, which I do. This pillow not only helps me with acid reflux but also has been an excellent pillow for the constant sniffles I get.
Wedge pillows for acid reflux are also great for pregnant women as well as those who are in post-surgery recovery. If you’re one of those people who love to read at night or watch some late-night TV, then this pillow will be precisely what you need.
Not only can you use them on your bed, but you can also use them on your couch. They are kid-friendly, so your kids can gain benefit from this type of pillow as well.
Before purchasing a wedge pillow, make sure to go over the seven things listed above in what to look for in a wedge pillow before purchasing.
Let me know in the comments below if you are a wedge pillow user or if you could find benefit in using a wedge pillow.